Monday, January 23, 2012

Logos, Pathos & Ethos

So after watching different Star Trek clips in Writing 150 class today, we had to break down what were the Logos (logic), Pathos (emotion) and Ethos (Authority) components of the argument. Obviously from that, we had to apply these to our own OpEd, so here we go!

Thesis: Members of the LDS Church should not be so judgmental.
Appealing to Logos, people simply don't like to be judged and thus, if judged, they will not feel welcomed and we would not be able to find investigators. Appealing to Pathos, people's emotions are affected when they are judged. I give examples of how people can be critical about you when they judge. It is hurtful, makes you feel pathetic and makes you feel like a horrible person when compared to a Mormon. These demoting emotions will help people feel the need to agree with me on how Members of the LDS Church should not be so judgmental. Finally, appealing to Ethos. I have authority to talk about these things because I, myself am a Mormon, thus I have observed people who aren't members being judged by Mormons. I, myself have possibly been one to judge people who aren't members as well. I also have authority to speak upon this topic because I have personally been judged by Mormons as well.

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany I think this sounds great. It is really applicable in each category which means you are going to have a great argument. I can't wait to hear the final product.

    ReplyDelete